Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Date with Vampires and Witches

So I was reading my first two posts, and realized it was totally not my intention for this to be a blog of summaries. I mean you can find those anywhere, including IMDB. Anyways, earlier I watched the season three premiere of The Vampire Diaries and the series premiere of The Secret Circle, both shows based off of books written by L.J. Smith. If I had to pick my favorite show last year, TVD would have to be it. I definitely missed seeing Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore on a weekly basis. As for TSC, I was interested in watching this show because Britt Robertson is one of my favorite newcomers. I was very disappointed when Life Unexpected was cancelled earlier this year. Plus, Thomas Dekker is also on TSC. I've known about him since I decided to watch Heroes when he played Claire Bennet's best friend, Zach, during the first season. Some of his other credentials are Taylor Ambrose in My Sister's Keeper and John Conner in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Now, on to the shows starting with TVD.

Since TVD is currently my favorite television show, I had very high expectations. While I thought the episode was a good start to the third season, I did have a few questions. How much time has passed since the start of the first season? Wasn't Elena a 17-year old high school junior when the show started? Why is she only turning 18 now? I hate when shows lose track of time, but it is just a technicality.

It was shocking to see how evil Stefan was at the beginning of the episode although it was clear by the end of the episode that he is struggling with trying not to lose himself. Klaus is absolutely not up to any good making a vampire-werewolf hybrid army. As for the Damon-Elena dynamic, some things never change. Damon is still keeping things from Elena. During her birthday party when she decided to take a break in an empty room, she finds that Damon has a whole map tracking the locations of Klaus and Stefan. Elena thought they were working together, but once again Damon was doing his own thing. I'm a big shipper of Elena and Damon, but it's always one step forward, two steps backwards with them. Plus, Elena still loves Stefan. I don't know how you can promote your show as a love triangle when Elena clearly isn't as divided between the two brothers as she could be. On the other hand, I did think there was some major sexual tension between Elena and Damon before her party when Damon gives back her necklace. I haven't lost all hope for Delena.

I really liked the dynamic between Caroline and Tyler. I was nervous that nothing would happen between them during this episode, but I was glad when they did hook-up by the end. I was very shocked by what happened as the episode's cliff-hanger. I can't believe Tyler's mother attacked Caroline and have no idea why she would. I hope Caroline will be okay. Also, Matt has been avoiding Caroline and has started to do drugs. Last but not least, Jeremy is back to being a stoner. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because he is seeing dead people, meaning Vicky and Anna. All in all, I'm excited to see what this season of TVD has in store.

I had no idea what to expect when I started watching TSC other than witches and a love triangle, but I thought that the series premiere was very compelling. I have so many questions: What exactly are Diana's father Charles Meade and Faye's mother Dawn Chamberlain up to? Why did Cassie's mother Amelia Blake choose Cassie's father instead of Ethan Conant, Adam's father? What exactly happened to Cassie's father? What is this ritual that Diana and the others keep bringing up? Will Cassie join the circle with the other five teenagers? Anyways, enough with the questions.

Charles is clearly up to some very evil magic. At the beginning of the episode, he starts the fire that kills Amelia just because he needs Cassie to return to Amelia's childhood home where all the others live and realize her magic abilities. And it's obvious that he's trying to manipulate his daughter into doing some sort of ritual that requires all six teenage witches. I just hope Diana finds out about her father before it's too late. The man is clearly very very twisted. At one point in the episode, I seriously thought he was going to murder Ethan by drowning him since Ethan had apparently said too much, but it turned out to just be a warning.

Looking at the love triangle, I prefer the dynamic between Adam and Cassie and suspect that Diana is going to be the one who ends up with a broken heart. I think the magic that Adam and Cassie produced together in the woods means something. I'm just not sure what it is. Maybe, it has something to do with why Amelia picked Cassie's father and not Ethan. I have no idea. I'm just speculating.

As for the other teenagers, Faye definitely has a mean streak. She shouldn't have put Cassie in danger by starting her car on fire just because she wanted to push Cassie into doing magic. Clearly, Cassie had no idea about her magical heritage. Thankfully, Adam saved Cassie. Faye should be grateful that Cassie ended the dangerous storm that she started later in the episode. She almost hurt Diana. We don't really know much about Melissa or Nick yet, but I'm sure they'll be more developed as the season goes on.

I'm really glad that Cassie didn't join the circle by the episode's end. I'm not sure the others really know what they're doing. Cassie's grandmother Jane did warn Dawn that her daughter and the other teens shouldn't be using magic that they don't completely understand. It's suspicious that all the teens have lost a parent as Adam told Cassie when he apologizes for what happened in the woods. Amelia had every reason to leave Chance Harbor to protect Cassie although it's now left her unprepared. It seems like the adults are keeping a lot of secrets from their children.

Anyways, I really enjoyed tonight's shows on the CW and can't wait until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment